Friday, June 14, 2013

Fresh Organic Peach BBQ Sauce



I love barbeque sauce. LOVE.  So when I came across a recipe in my inbox for peach BBQ sauce I was all over it.  Our tiny peach tree produced it's largest crop of peaches this year.  And although we valiantly fought off the squirrels for our harvest, we ended up splitting the crop with the squirrels about 50/50.  Even still, it was quite a haul for us.  Our peaches were on the tiny side, but were sweet, juicy and delicious!


The following recipe is quite large as I wanted to can quite a few jars & stock up. This recipe yields 6 pints. You could certainly decrease the measurements for a smaller batch, or even make a very small batch and keep it in the fridge.

Ingredients:
  • 5 lbs fresh organic peaches
  • 2 organic white onions
  • 3-4 cloves garlic (I like a lot of garlic, but prepare your sauce to your own taste)
  • 1 1/2 cups organic brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper (This gives a nice little kick of an aftertaste- again, to your own taste)
  • 4 tsp paprika
  • 3 tsp sea salt
  • 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 balsamic vinegar
  • 5 tsp molasses
Instructions:
  1. First blanch the peaches and remove the pits.  To blanch the peaches put them in boiling water for 60-90 seconds, remove with a slotted spoon and immediately submerge in ice water.  Drain and remove the skin with your fingers or a paring knife.  Discard the peach pits (at this point when I glanced down at my pile of peach pits I had the uncontrollable urge to indulge in a 90210 marathon... Get it...? The Peach Pit? oh, I crack myself up....).
  2. Next, puree the peach flesh, onions and garlic in a food processor or blender.  Combine all ingredients in a pot and simmer, loosely covered, on medium heat for about 20 minutes.
  3. Then, prepare/sanitize jars and lids.  You could do either pints or half pint jars as you prefer.  I chose to do a combination of both.  Ladle the sauce into the jars and process in a hot water bath for 25 minutes.

Recipe adapted from: simplebites.net


No comments:

Post a Comment